Saturday, May 25, 2013

Day 8 Monday May 13: Mesa Verde National Park Journey and Arrival

This morning was spent at the Colorado DNR getting our fishing licenses plus another trip to Wal-Mart!! Since Thomas has been doing all the driving I thought I’d be nice and drive to Mesa Verde some 30 miles from town – how bad could that be, right? Holy moly, the road was this a real Colorado mountain super highway road with twists, turns, hills and downgrades – all at a 65 MPH speed limit!


I barely do 65 on our flat I-70 in Indiana!
Thomas did get a nice rest as all he could do
was close his eyes and pray!

At any rate, we did arrive at the visitor’s center safely and were greeted by two incredible Native American works of art:


The Ancient Ones       

This lovely woman reminded me of my dear friend Vicki Hale

If you think you’re going to see this national park in a couple hours, you can pretty much forget it! The drive into the main museum area is 20 miles of 2 lane mountain road, although the 35 MPH speed limit was much easier for me to handle! I did get fired from driving after our picnic stop about 5 miles in! The scenery once again is breathtaking with panoramic views at every turn.


No comments:

Post a Comment