Friday, May 24, 2013

Day 5 Friday May 10, afternoon in Santa Fe Part 2: Churches

Note: I am finding that my high-resolution photos taken on the Canon camera not only take a long time to download, but also take up a lot of my allotted space on the blog post. Please bear with me as I figure out the best way to proceed with this process. As such I am breaking down the Santa Fe section into smaller segments.

Catholic churches also dominate the town:



The San Miguel Church is the oldest church structure
in the United States @ 1610




Cathedral Basilica of St. Francis of Assisi

I especially liked this statue of Kateri Takakwitha (1656-1680), the first American Indiana of North America to be promoted a Saint:





The cathedral also houses La Conquistadora, Our Lady of Conquering Love, our country’s oldest Madonna @ 1625:

 


St. Francis is well known as the patron saint of animals. Here is a segment from his “Preaching to the Birds” Chapter 21, Verse 8:

“My brothers, birds, you should praise your Creator very much and always love Him; He gave you feathers to clothe you, wings so that you can fly, and whatever else was necessary for you. God made you noble among His creatures, and He gave you a home in the purity of the air; though you neither sow nor reap, He nevertheless protects and governs you without any solicitude on your part.”

No comments:

Post a Comment